mexican importation permit on car


Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

Buy Mexico Car Insurance here.

If you are driving to the interior of Mexico past the Free Zone (21 Km or 25 miles from the border, 98 Km or 60 miles in Sonora or outside of the states of Baja California), you are required to obtain a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit. This permit is issued by Banjercito, the national bank for Mexico.

Who can request a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit?

  • U.S., Canadian and all foreign citizens
  • Mexican Nationals with legal residence abroad or who have proof of working for more than one year outside of Mexico by means of official documents

Where can I obtain a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit?

  • If you live in the United States or Canada, you can request a temporary vehicle importation permit Online - Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit
  • At some Mexican Consulates in the U.S. Check here for the office closest to you.
  • Banjercito offices located at the Mexican Border Crossings

It is recommended that you process your request at least 7-10 days in advance of your trip. Once you complete the online process you will receive the permit and the hologram at the US or Canadian address you provided.

Can I obtain a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit the same day I request it?

Yes, you can obtain the permit by visiting the Banjercito office at the Mexican Border Crossing or at any Mexican Consulate that offers this service.

How long is the Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit issued for?

  • Foreigners: The duration of the permit will be the same as the length of the tourist visa.
  • Mexican residents abroad: In a period of one year (12 months), you are authorized to keep the vehicle in Mexico for 180 days with multiple entrances.

What do I need to get a Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit?

  • Foreigners: Valid ID (passport, naturalization certificate) and copies of the Visa issued by the Mexican Immigration offices.
  • Mexicans: a document proving legal residence abroad or an official document to prove the migratory status authorizing them to work abroad for up to one year (examples include definitive or temporary resident card, passport (not Mexican passport).
  • Both Foreigner and Mexicans will need:

- original and copies of their vehicle Title OR Current Registration

- credit/debit card in the same name as the Title/Registration

  - $200 - $400 U.S.D. to leave as a deposit. See below. The deposit will be returned If you return the Vehicle Importation Permit before it expires.

  - About $51 U.S. for the cost of the permit

  - Mexico insurance policy

*If the vehicle is a company car, rental car, leased or financed, you will need to obtain a letter of permission from the lien holder/company/lessor to take the vehicle to Mexico.

Do I need to have Mexico Insurance?

Yes. Proof of financial responsibility is now required to obtain your Vehicle Importation Permit. In addition, Mexico doesn't recognize foreign insurance. In case of an accident, even if you are not at-fault, you will need "proof of financial responsibility," and you will need an insurance policy issued by a Mexican Insurance company.

How much does it cost and how can I pay?

The fee for the temporary importation of a vehicle is approximately $51.00 U.S.; this fee is the same whether the permit is obtained at the border or at a consulate. The fee when obtaining the permit online is $45.00

Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit

A guarantee deposit for the return of the vehicle to the US is required for all vehicles. The amount of the guarantee will be determined by the year of the vehicle. The guarantee will be refunded upon cancellation of the vehicle permit at a Banjercito office as long as it is prior to the expiration date of the permit. The refund will be made in the same form as the deposit was made.

You can pay the permit fee and guarantee deposit with credit or debit card (Visa or MasterCard) with the importer's name or in cash.

Year Guarantee Deposit
2007 – newer $400.00 USD
2001 - 2006 $300.00 USD
2000 and older $200.00 USD


Who is allowed to drive my vehicle?

  • Foreigners: the owner/importer, his/her spouse, ascendants (parents), descendants (children) or siblings, even if they are not foreigners, and foreigners that hold a migratory status authorizing them to do so or a Mexican national, as long the owner is in the vehicle.
  • Mexicans: the owner, his/her spouse, ascendants (parents), descendants (children) or siblings, only if they have a legal residence abroad, a foreigner with the appropriate migratory status, and any other person, as long as the owner/importer is in the vehicle.

How can I cancel my permit?

When leaving Mexico you must visit the Banjercito office at the border in order to obtain the cancellation documents that prove your vehicle is returning to the U.S. or to register the vehicle return to have a record of the days used.

Upon cancellation on or before the expiration date of the permit, you will receive the guarantee deposit back in the same form as it was paid. If the permit is not canceled on time, you will lose the deposit. If the permit is not canceled at all, you will lose the deposit and will not be able to import any other vehicle to Mexico in the future until the permit is canceled. Additional fees and fines will be assessed.


Read your vehicle importation permit carefully; remember that you are obligated to comply with these customs provisions.

To verify the status of your vehicle importation permit, go to

If you have any questions about your permit, please email:

The information contained on this page is subject to change without notice by the Mexican Government. For updated information, please visit, Aduana Mexico,,

Banjercito information such as vehicle importation permit.     Banco Nacional del Ejército, Fuerza Aérea y Armada de Mexico

Av. Industria Militar 1055, Col. Lomas de Sotelo, Delegacion Miguel Hidalgo,  C.P. 11200 Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
0 11 52 55 5328 2329

Monday - Friday 8 am to 4 pm Mexico city time

Our Customer Feedback

Our latest blogs

  • HDI
  • ACE
  • IMG
  • National Unity
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder