Frequently Asked Questions- Mexico Insurance FAQ's

Why Do I Need Mexico Auto Insurance?

Liability coverage issued by a Mexican Insurance Company is required by law in all federal highways and bridges, aside of any local or state law. Mexico does not recognize foreign insurance, and you will need financial proof in case of an accident. U.S. and Canadian insurance does not cover your vehicle from physical damage or theft while in Mexico.

Do I need to buy Mexico Auto Insurance even if my domestic coverage has a Mexico coverage endorsement?

Many US insurance companies in the Border States with Mexico extend coverage into Mexico for a certain number of miles from the border. Be aware that this coverage is restricted to the number of times you cross into Mexico, and only covers damages to your vehicle, not third party liability. So YES, even if you have an endorsement for extended coverage to Mexico, you should buy third party liability, the minimum coverage required by authorities in case of an accident. It is important that you purchase your Mexican insurance prior to entering Mexico. 

How Do I Purchase Mexico Auto Insurance?

Purchasing Mexico auto insurance is very easy with Sanborn's. You can select this link to go directly to our quote page. Simply choose an agent and you will be on your way to driving in Mexico. You can also reach us at 1-800-222-0158 (8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST) and have one of our friendly customer service representatives give you a quote and connect you with one of our agents to purchase over the telephone. 

What Information Do I Need to Get a Quote?

Whether you are requesting a quote online or by phone, 1-800-222-0158 (8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST), you should have the following items handy to make the quoting process easier, the number of days you plan to stay in Mexico, year, make and model of your vehicle well as its value. (Not sure about the value? check

What Other Information Do I Need to Buy a Mexico Auto Insurance Policy?

To purchase your Mexico auto insurance policy online or by phone, 1-800-222-0158 (8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. CST), you will need to have the following items available to purchase your policy: a valid drivers license number, vehicle title or registration which includes the vehicle license plate number and VIN number, current domestic insurance carrier and policy #.

Can a Mexican Resident Drive My U.S. Plated Vehicle?

For insurance purposes, your vehicle will be covered as specified on your policy as long as it is driven by someone with a valid driver license. The insurance coverage is valid as specified on your policy regardless of whether that person has a U.S. or Mexico driver license. However, Mexican law prohibits the use of any U.S./Canadian plated vehicle by a Mexican resident. If your vehicle is involved in an accident or pulled over by police while being driven by a Mexican resident, the vehicle can be impounded. Your insurance does not cover any costs involved in recovering your vehicle should this happen.

Our Customer Feedback

Our latest blogs

  • HDI
  • ACE
  • IMG
  • National Unity
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder