Mexico Auto InsurancePlease be aware that you can no longer use proof of U.S. citizenship, like an embossed birth certificate, with a government-issued photo ID to get into or out of the country. Every citizen of the United States, independent of age (even newborn infants), is required to have a valid passport when traveling outside the United States.

Do I Need a Passport to Go to Mexico?

U.S. citizens must present a valid U.S. passport, in addition to an entry permit (Forma Migratoria Multiple or FMM) issued by Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM). You will certainly need it as well coming back to the US. Traveling by land allows you to use either a passport book or passport card to travel. Instances where you may be asked to provide your passport include if you plan to travel beyond the border area, which is about 20 kilometers into Mexico, or at immigration checkpoints during your travel.

What Do I Need to Travel to Mexico?

Besides packing your wallet and your swimsuit, you’ll want to make sure you have everything you need for a safe and easy trip to Mexico and back. Items you may need in order to drive to Mexico include:
  • Valid passport
  • Tourist visa (if your trip lasts longer than 180 days)
  • Valid driver’s license
  • Entry permit (for those traveling beyond the 20-kilometer border area)
  • Mexico car insurance
  • A registered vehicle

Will My Car Insurance Carry into Mexico?

Your personal auto insurance policy typically won’t carry over into Mexico. If you plan to drive into Mexico, you need to be sure to purchase auto insurance before your trip. Mexico has its own laws about auto insurance and does not accept US car insurance. When you purchase Mexico auto insurance, you’ll be required to buy a certain amount of third-party liability insurance. It is generally recommended, based on Mexican laws for possible payouts for bodily injury or fatality, that drivers get a minimum of about $300,000 worth of third-party liability damage coverage.  You may also want to invest in and as liability insurance only covers the other victims in the car crash and not you or your vehicle.

Does a Visa Work the Same Way as a Passport When Traveling to Mexico?

Tourist visas and passports are entirely different entities and you can’t substitute one for the other. If you’re traveling beyond the border area into Mexico, you will likely have to carry both a legal passport and a tourist visa.

What are the Limitations on Travel to Mexico?

Certain limitations you must adhere to when driving to Mexico are:
  • Rental insurance policies. Most US rental companies will not allow you to drive your rental to Mexico. You can purchase Mexican rental car insurance as opposed to driving a personal vehicle into Mexico, but it will also require a certain amount of auto insurance.
  • Possible denial for illegal activity. Mexico has the right to deny anyone entry if that person has been charged with or convicted of serious crimes either in Mexico or elsewhere.
  • Limits on currency. The maximum amount of currency for entering or exiting Mexico is $10,000.
  • No firearms or weapons. In general, it’s illegal for you to bring weapons or firearms across the border. Doing so can mean imprisonment.
  • Mexico car insurance likely won’t cover you if you’re driving a Mexican vehicle. This is the same for when someone else besides the owner or insurance holder drives your vehicle.
Traveling anywhere requires precautions and careful planning. Before your trip, study Mexico’s traffic laws and double check with your insurance agent about taking your car into Mexico. You will most likely need to purchase Mexico auto insurance either for a personal vehicle or for a rental. Plan smartly and travel safely.
Posted 3:27 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2020
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017

View Mobile Version

Our Customer Feedback

Our latest blogs

  • HDI
  • ACE
  • IMG
  • National Unity
© Copyright. All rights reserved. Powered by Insurance Website Builder