Sanborn's Mexican Insurance, San Diego, CA
Get Your Quote Started!
Coverage for Travel Between San Diego, California and Mexico
If you live in or around San Diego, you may be tempted to take a day-trip to Tijuana, Ensenada, Rosarito or other destinations in Baja. The Tijuana-San Ysidro border is very easy to cross and with good planning you will have a great time.
Once you cross the border you will be in a different country. It's important to remember that law and procedures to follow after an accident are different than those you are familiar with. Regardless if you are driving in Mexico for a few hours, a day or a weekend, you will need the mandatory auto insurance issued by a Mexican insurance company.
Sanborn’s Insurance has worked with drivers for over 70 years to offer comprehensive and reliable Mexico insurance. With a Sanborn’s Mexico Insurance policy, we will protect your road trip to Mexico, so you can relax and enjoy your time in Mexico.
Does My Insurance Covers Driving in Mexico?
Mexico does not recognize foreign insurance. Even if your U.S. auto policy covers loss or damage to your vehicle within a limited territory from the U.S.-Mexico border, you will not have the mandatory liability coverage you need when driving in Mexico. Purchasing a Mexico auto insurance policy is a way to keep your vehicle, your passengers and yourself safe in case you are involved in an accident.
Coverage available in our Mexico Insurance policies:
- Physical Damage and Total Theft: This coverage protects your vehicle in case of an accident or total theft. The insured amount is stated on the policy, based on the ACV of your vehicle. If your vehicle is financed, check if you may need GAP coverage.
- GAP coverage: If the amount owed to the bank is higher than the ACV of your vehicle, you will need GAP coverage. Use the amount you owe as the insured amount on the policy and include this coverage.
- Third-Party Liability: (up to $500,000 USD) If you are at-fault in an accident, this covers bodily injury and property damage to the third party, anyone other than the insured and occupants of the insured vehicle.
- Medical Payments for occupants: Pays medical expenses for the driver and occupants of the insured vehicle for injuries sustained in an accident.
- Travel, Roadside and Legal Assistance: Provides legal services and payment of bail bond as required in the event of an accident. In the event of a flat tire, dead battery, keys locked in the car, or car breakdown, the Roadside Assistance on your policy can help. International medical evacuation is available if medically necessary. Also provided is travel assistance through a travel hotline. All services are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Get Insured Today
Speak with a dedicated Sanborn’s Mexico Insurance agent in San Diego today. Call us at or buy your Mexico insurance policy online.
Common Mexico Auto Insurance Questions
- Can I Buy Mexican Auto Insurance Online?
- Yes, you can buy online through Sanborn’s Insurance today.
- Is Mexico Insurance Mandatory in Baja?
- All drivers in Mexico must have a third party liability coverage issued by a Mexican insurance company when driving in Mexico, in addition to local Baja state requirements.
- Do I need Mexico auto insurance if I am driving a rental vehicle?
- Mexico insurance is required for all vehicles, including rental cars; the insurance must be issued by a Mexican insurance company. Talk to a Sanborn’s Mexico Insurance agent for more information, or fill out an online quote form.
Check us out on Facebook and Twitter!
Phone: (619) 662-2830
65 E. San Ysidro Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92173
Mon - Fri 8:30AM - 5:30PM